Ceramides are a hot topic in beauty, right now. For good reason, they’re becoming an essential part of our skincare routines and we include a number of potent, plant-based ceramides in our products.
In the following article, we fill you in on everything you need to know about ceramides, and the extraordinary benefits they can deliver to your skin. We also explain why, if you’re looking to add them to your routine, you really need some of our cult face oil, The Good Oil, and our ultra-luxe moisturizer, Hydration Agent, in your life…
What are ceramides, exactly?
Found naturally in skin cells, ceramides are a class of fatty acids called lipids. They make up about 50% of the epidermis, which is the outer layer of our skin.
If they’re already part of my skin, why do I need more of them?
Unfortunately, ceramides break down over time, and we begin to lose an increasing amount of them as we enter our 30s and 40s. This can have profound consequences for the health of our skin.
A useful analogy to help understand the importance of ceramides is to envision our epidermis as made up of bricks and mortar, with our skin cells functioning as the bricks and our ceramides as the mortar that binds them together. Once the mortar starts to crumble, so too do the bricks. If we want the edifice to hold together, we need to consistently add more mortar.
What benefits can I expect if I add ceramides to my skincare routine?
There’s a reason why skincare experts stress the importance of adding ceramides to your routine! They help to:
- Keep our skin barrier functioning properly. A compromised protective barrier allows bacteria to enter through tiny cracks and cause irritations. In an age where we’re exposed to more environmental stressors than ever before, it’s super important to protect our skin barrier and keep it healthy.
- Minimize fine lines and wrinkles and reduce signs of aging. One way we can maximize well-aging (alongside replenishing our levels of collagen and elastin) is to ensure our stores of ceramides are continuously topped up, helping to protect and maintain a healthy epidermis.
- Soften, smooth, and hydrate the skin. Ceramides are a wonderful addition to moisturizers for the simple reason that they help restore lost lipids, improving the look and feel of the skin. Their ability to lock in moisture makes them especially important for anyone with dry, dehydrated, or stressed skin.
- Calm inflammatory skin conditions. When our epidermis is not as healthy as it could be, we’re exposed to epidermal water loss, as well as dry, inflamed skin and environmental aggressors. All these things put us at risk of inflammatory skin conditions like eczema, rosacea, acne, and psoriasis. Because ceramides help create a barrier that locks in moisture and prevents permeability, there’s evidence that they can help calm, and even guard against, such inflammations.
Can I get ceramides from natural sources?
Given how important ceramides are to the look, feel, and health of our skin, it’s no surprise that many beauty companies are making a lot of noise right now about the synthetic ceramides they’re adding to their products.
But Mother Nature has been perfecting this kind of thing of for a long time now, and there are some potent, plant-based ceramides available for topical use.
At The Organic Skin Co., we make extensive use of two of the very best plant-based ceramides available, in the form or high quality, cold-pressed organic jojoba seed oil and sunflower oil.
Incredibly, jojoba oil contains 96% ceramides, whilst sunflower oil is also ceramide-rich, containing approximately 78%. Even better, the properties of these ceramides are like those present in our skin, meaning they are easily absorbed and deeply hydrating. They not only help to maintain and repair the epidermis, but also keep the skin supple and soft.
Ceramide Saviors! Meet two of our favorite skincare products, rich in plant-based ceramides.
Our best-selling face oil, The Good Oil, is a hydrating, skin softening powerhouse, infused with natural ceramides and antioxidants to help keep your skin calm, balanced, and replenished. It features four precious cold-pressed oils, including:
- jojoba seed oil and sunflower oil - for your perfect, daily dose of ceramides
- apricot seed oil - a known anti-inflammatory that’s also rich in linoleic acid to help support the skin barrier, and vitamin E; to help boost elasticity and clarity; plus
- almond seed oil – nutrient-rich and super-hydrating: a wonderful addition to any skincare routine, thanks to its moisturizing and age-managing properties.
Throw in four potent CO2 extracts of turmeric, calendula, honeysuckle, and rosemary, and it’s clear why ‘The Good Oil’ is everybody’s favorite!
Like ‘The Good Oil’, our luxe vanilla and amaranth moisturizer, Hydration Agent, is infused with organic jojoba seed oil and sunflower oil, ensuring a generous helping of plant-based ceramides are delivered to your epidermis. It’s not only like a drink for parched skin, it’s also a wonderfully nurturing moisturizer, guarding against environmental aggressors and helping maintain the kind of healthy, balanced skin barrier you need if your skin is to look its best!
Importantly, Hydration Agent also includes a host of other organic goodies, including organic aloe vera and shea nut butter, plus no less than 5 CO2 extracts of vanilla, amaranth, calendula, honeysuckle, and rosemary, all synergistically blended to help minimize fine lines and revitalize your skin.
In the end, whether you’re applying ‘The Good Oil’, or ‘Hydration Agent’, or another product from our range, and you find yourself marvelling at how easily it absorbs and how attuned it is to your skin, remember that, at least in part, that’s because the ceramides are doing their job – replenishing, restoring, moisturizing, and protecting – all so your skin can look and feel its best!Disclaimer: This blog post was written for educational purposes only. It is not designed to diagnose, treat or cure. For individual health concerns The Organic Skin Co. recommends that you consult with a relevant health professional.