Okay. So we’re unabashed tree huggers. You show us a tree and we’ll drape ourselves around it, give it a squeeze.
But our trees are running out. Deforestation has been called ‘a modern day plague’ by National Geographic and it’s easy to see why. Because, when you look at the numbers, your stomach sinks a little and you find yourself wondering whether we humans care enough for this planet of ours.
15 billion. According to the most comprehensive study of its kind, that’s how many trees we’re cutting down globally every year. It’s a staggering number – almost difficult to believe – but it’s happening and it’s doing us and our environment terrible harm.
Here’s the problem with deforestation on the scale it’s happening right now:
- Loss of habitat for animal and plant species. Nearly 70% of Earth’s land animals and plants live in forests and their homes are being destroyed.
- Increased greenhouse gases, perhaps the major contributor to global warming.
- Disruption to the water cycle, leading to drought, dryer soils, impoverished crops, and even desert landscapes.
- Soil erosion and coastal floods.
- Destruction of homelands for indigenous communities.
Wow, right? The consequences of deforestation are devastating and we only have ourselves to blame. Trees are amongst the most prominent and critical organisms on Earth. For the sake of future generations, we need to find a way to restore healthy forests worldwide.
With your help, we want to play our part. That’s why we’ve partnered with Eden Reforestation Projects, who are not only working tirelessly to help reverse deforestation, but also provide jobs and hope to local, indigenous communities worldwide. Their mission to plant a minimum of 100 million trees every year by 2020 is making a profound difference environmentally and sociologically, and – as part of our work with them – we pledge to plant one tree for every ‘The Organic Skin Co.’ product you purchase. It’s a chance to give back, to help redress the balance.