The Benefits of Amla for Our Skin
The Amla Berry is one of Mother Nature’s greatest hits; a multi-tasking, incredibly therapeutic fruit that we feature throughout The Organic Skin Co. range (call us obsessed, but we can never resist an ingredient that keeps our skin youthful and supple, and helps it to glow!).
Revered for thousands of years across Asia for its healing powers, Western scientists and medical experts have also begun to take an interest in the amla berry, thanks to a series of studies that have confirmed the extraordinary range of health and skin benefits it can deliver. As a skincare ingredient, for example, clinical tests have demonstrated that amla can help the skin stay healthy and youthful.
It’s worth taking a closer look at this superfruit and its potent, broad-spectrum healing powers.
Background and Folklore:
There are many legends surrounding the amla tree, highlighting its importance across the Asian continent and, most especially, in India. It’s said, for example, that the amla berry came from the first tree to appear on Earth, manifested out of the tears of Brahma as he was meditating, whilst Indian folklore also places the amla tree as the dwelling place of the divine lovers, Krishna and Radha.
Whatever its genesis, amla has long been revered by Ayurvedic medical practitioners as one of the most important rasayanas (rasayanas being herbs, spices and fruits which contribute to longevity, good health, and wellbeing). When you see the list of benefits (listed below) associated with using amla, it’s easy to understand the enthusiasm ayurvedic practitioners have for it!
Over the last two decades, a series of scientific studies have helped confirm what many across Asia have known for centuries – that the amla berry contains properties that can significantly benefit our health.
Included amongst these studies are findings that:
- Amla extract possesses strong antioxidative properties and helps stimulate collagen, which is important in keeping the skin healthy and protecting against aging.
- Amla extract can help protect the skin against the effects of UVB rays, another important element in terms of anti-aging and maintaining healthy, youthful-looking skin.
- Amla is an effective anti-inflammatory agent and anticoagulant.
- Amla offers cardiovascular benefits, helping to reduce levels of bad cholesterol and prevent atherosclerosis and related cardiovascular disease.
- Amla may help reduce blood sugar and therefore offer protection against diabetes.
List of Benefits:
Clearly, the evidence – both scientific and anecdotal – supporting amla’s wondrous properties, is compelling. Here’s an additional list of benefits associated with amla, many of them backed up by centuries of use by ayurvedic practitioners:
- Great for the skin and protects against aging
- Excellent source of vitamin C
- A powerful antioxidant, helping to protect the skin against environmental aggressors
- Nourishes the hair
- Flushes out toxins, regulates elimination, and helps the urinary system
- Supports healthy cardiovascular function
- Aids with digestion and regulates stomach acids
- Increases alertness and the proper functioning of the brain
- Strengthens the eyes
- Supports the immune system
Impressive, right? With a list like this, it’s easy to see why we love this very special berry so much!
An Amazing Amla Skincare Routine
If you’re as enamoured with amla as we are, you might want to check out the products in The Organic Skin Co. range that feature it. There are four products in all, and used together they make for a perfect skincare routine, helping to:
- Cleanse the skin – Clean Slate, Fruit Acid Complex Cleanser
- Plump the skin and protect against aging – Vitamin Sea, New Zealand Marine and Vitamin C Serum
- Hydrate, soften, and calm the skin – The Dream Cream, New Zealand Marine and Vitamin C Moisturizer
- Provide a gentle, sun-kissed glow – Primp N’ Prime, Tinted Moisturizer and Primer
Used on their own, any of these products will quickly become a staple in your skincare cupboard.
But used together?
Let’s just say that you’ll quickly enjoy berry special results!
________________________________________________________* Disclaimer: Whilst the studies listed above indicate the potential medical benefits offered by the amla berry, it is important for anyone to follow the advice of their doctor when it comes to the treatment of disease. Amla should not be used in place of any drugs prescribed by your doctor or without consultation.